For about 8 months I have been suffering from work related stress. My body and brain has been telling me for some time that life was not going well and I was done in. We all have to deal with stress and stress can be a good thing. However, there is a tipping point when stress becomes damaging. At the point when you are seriously effecting your health and well-being, it’s time to do something about it.
Stress really can have serious effects on your brain, including brain shrinkage. Aaaaaaahhhhh! My brain is shrinking!
You can find yourself trapped in a cycle of stress. It can also cause other long term health issues, like depression and Alzheimer’s.
Modern life puts huge pressure on all of us and we can easily fall into a trap. You can keep going but it will take it’s toll. Do not ignore long term stress.
Here are some of the other signs & symptoms I realised I could no longer ignore –
- You spend all weekend feeling exhausted. From Sunday afternoon onward you are filled with dread about the working week ahead
- You are existing not living.
- You start to fantasise about being made redundant
- Your nights are plagued by thoughts about work and you wake up bombarded with yet more thoughts.
- You keeping getting ill and never fully recovering
- Your family and friends are advising you to quit.
- Everything feels like hard work
- You are not prioritising your own health and well being
- The workload is unmanageable and the targets un-achievable
- You have asked your employers for support and nothing has really changed
What are your experiences of work related stress? Have you ever quit a job due to stress? It would be great to here how you have bounced back from any periods of prolonged stress.