So I’m a bit of a procrastinator. Not in all areas of my life. I have a strong work ethic and I’m generally motivated in my work.Throughout my years of studying, my assignments were always done in advance of the deadline. However, I can procrastinate in my day to day life. There are so many things I want to do but when it comes down to it, I just don’t seem to be able to find my mojo to get them done. I want to get back to running and yoga. I have loads of art and craft ideas I want to try. I have so many interesting books waiting to e read. It’s just not really happening.
I think I am spending too much time in the Dark Playground! Don’t worry, it sounds worse than it is. I have come to understand about the ‘Dark Playground’ from Tim Urban. Here’s a drawing of his Dark Playground.
I think the signs at the entrance to my Dark Playground would be –
- Eating unhealthy snacks – keep eating even when you are full, it tastes nice.
- A nap, followed by more napping – napping is the best thing ever.
- Looking for more books on line -it doesn’t matter that you have enough to last you more than 2 years!
- Looking for interesting articles online to save in your favourites – you don’t actually have to read them or take in any of the content
- Watch films and tv series – there is so many the list is endless. Just keep watching.
To understand more about procrastination and the Dark Playground, check out this funny TED Talk by Tim Urban –
Are you a procrastinator in any part of your life? Do you ever venture to the Dark Playground? If so, what would the signs at the entrance to your Dark Playground be?